Sunday, November 16, 2014

Last night, I attended a ward activity at Peaks Ice Arena to play broom ball.  I had only played broom ball once before, so I was excited to play again and see if I could improve my skills.  We got there and I immediately realized that I had worn completely wrong shoes to play the game.  I was wearing boots, but they had no traction on them at all.  When you are running around on ice trying to hit a ball, having no traction is a little bit of a problem!  I practiced sliding around to keep my footing and was doing okay, so I decided to just go for it and do what I could.  

         Unfortunately, I think I was a little ambitious because the first time I started running after the ball I fell.  I kept chasing after the ball and fighting for it with my stick, and always fell down.  The ice and I started to become good friends.  Sometimes I tried to see how graceful or cool I looked while falling to make it more fun.   Eventually I became goalie so I would not have to fall down as much.  That proved to be great and I made some great saves without falling.  I tried to make one last save at the end of the game and got really into the play.  I dropped down to stop the ball and landed hard on my knees to try and get the ball.  The ball went in and both my knees were numb because I hit them hard on the ice.  I lost in both ways.  Now, I have huge, colorful bruises on both my knees.  I can show off my battle scars now, while I limp around and try not to touch my knees.  Overall though, I would say broom ball was a success because I had so much fun and my team won!

No comments:

Post a Comment