Sunday, October 19, 2014
The Gum Story
My professor challenged each one of us in my business writing class (MCOM) to buy something and give it to a random stranger this weekend. We then had to write about that experience in our blogs. I was worried when I heard that because I knew I would be leaving thursday night for a trip, so I had to act quickly. I went to the store on thursday and finally decided to buy a pack of gum. I love gum so I figured whoever the lucky someone was, would appreciate gum as well. I had to go to the library after my classes to study, but I was on the lookout to give someone the gum so I could fulfill my assignment :) A girl came up to the table I was studying at and asked if she could join me at the table to study. She sat on the opposite side and we both started studying in silence. Then very subtly the thought came that I should give this girl the pack of gum, and I knew that was the right thing to do. Now I just needed to find the right time to give the gum to her. The time came when she looked up and asked me a simple question that I can't even remember now. I answered the question, pulled out the gum, and told her I had gone to the store and bought this gum. I told her I wanted to give her the gum because I felt like she needed it. She stared at me with a blank stare and wide eyes, and then started tearing up as she looked at me. She told me that she loved gum but had just run out of her pack the day before. Then she went on to say that her day had been horrible and she was so sad and frustrated with everything. She had been feeling lonely all day and was hoping something would help her day be brighter...and then I came along with a pack of gum. She was so grateful for me that I took time to buy gum and then give it to her. She had a smile on her face and immediately put a piece in her mouth. That was such a cool experience to have because I know the Lord watches out for each one of us and knows what we are going through. He puts people in our paths to help us and lift us up. I know the Lord used me to help cheer this girl up even though it was just giving her a pack of gum. I am so grateful that we are always looked out for and taken care of!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment